Wednesday 18 December 2013

MANAGERIAL LONGEVITY

League managers don't last long. Such is the pressure for success that some managers last just a few weeks. Recently there has been a spate of sackings in the Premier League and Championship. If a manager lasts 4 or 5 years it is quite exceptional. Alex Ferguson aside I think one of the league's longest serving managers since Dario Gradi was Nigel Clough with his 5 years at Derby.

At Bath City the Adie Britton/Lee Howells partnership has lasted almost 5 years and Adie Britton has been with the Club since 2006.

Until a few weeks ago both he and Archie were under fire after City slumped to the relegation zone after an 8 game barren spell and we went tamely out of the FA Cup against Salisbury.

But City's resurgence, a 9 game unbeaten run built on attack, has taken us into the playoff places and surely vindicated those who say we should give a management team time to build a team.

Of course at City we have a management duo who work unpaid and some say that has meant that moving them on wasn't an option.

For me Adie Britton has a good track record with City and I think he is the man to take us back to the Conference Premier and keep us there. I know people will disagree with me but a management style that encourages and supports the players is the key to success. A Board and fans that allows a run of bad results (painful though it is) and values patience is for me the right framework. Playing the long game will surely pay dividends?

I may show my frustration at poor performances and defeats but my head says encouragement, patience and managerial longevity is the right way to go.

What a bleak pre-Christmas Saturday it was without City playing.

We are on such a good run that I just want the fixtures to keep coming. Hopefully the players will profit from the break and with Ross Stearn back we can carry on where we left off by getting points at Hayes (Woking) this coming Saturday.

I am really looking forward to the Boxing Day fixture against Weston Super Mare. I hope to catch up with old City friends on what I regard as the best sporting day of the Year. Let's hope the weather stays on our side.

I don't plan to write on Christmas Day so my next piece will be on Friday 27th December



No comments:

Post a Comment